Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Boy Down the Street

Meet Cooper...

(Also pictured is friend Kylie)
He is the boy Justin fears. His house is positioned around the corner in such a way that his back yard is traversed to our yard by foot, a bike, a golf cart, or a 4-wheeler. Cooper is allowed to drive all of those. Cooper was born 1 week before Kenlee, so they've "grown up" together. When they were 4 years old, they had to be separated at VBS because they would not stop kissing. When they were 6, Cooper announces to me that he and Kenlee are playing "Married" in the playroom. My intention was to approach this the best way I could--- ensure that they grew up so close that Kenlee would never find him attractive because he would be seen as more of a brother and protector. Besides, my little Boy-Crazy Girl has always had a thing for older men... her "boyfriends" have all been in high school since she was 3 and decided she was smitten by them.
So the other day I answer a knock on the door, and Cooper asks, "Can Kenlee come ride around the block with me on the golf cart?" I think I just stared at him. 8 years old is not when I thought a boy would come to our house to pick Kenlee up and take her riding around! Later that week, I was making petit fours in the kitchen, and I hear the computer Jukebox playing Cinderella by Steven Curtis Chapman very loudly. I peek into the living room, and Cooper is teaching Kenlee to Two Step!! I almost started bawling! Partially because of the lyrics from that song of choice:
"She spins and she sways to whatever song plays, Without a care in the world.
And I'm sitting here wearing the weight of the world on my shoulders.
It's been a long day and there's still work to do,
She's pulling at me saying "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I've been invited
and I need to practice my dancin'"
"Oh please, daddy, please!"
So I will dance with Cinderella While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.
She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad the prom is just one week away And I need to practice my dancin'
"Oh please, daddy , please!"
Chorus: So I will dance with Cinderella While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

Well she came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned
She says, "Dad the wedding's still six months away
but I need to practice my dancin'
"Oh please, daddy , please!"
So I will dance with Cinderella While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone"

I wanted to call Justin and tell him to get home and dance with Kenlee because Cooper already was! So I practiced the art of distraction: "Kenlee! Coop! Want a popsicle?" So they stopped for a popsicle and then resumed the lesson on slow-dancing.
Last night at the football game a neighbor told me, "I think there's something serious going on in my neck of the neighborhood." I was trying to figure out if she was talking about the rash of babies being born on the street, and then she said, "I saw Kenlee riding her bike past my house again Wednesday, and I visited with her and asked what she had been up to. She said she was headed over to Cooper's to see if he wanted to ride bikes. I think it's getting pretty serious. They ride bikes several times a week, and Wednesday evening they came over together to visit me and Gracie (the dog)". At least the neighbors are keeping an eye out!
Well, the whole situation is good for a giggle. But in the back of my mind I am very aware of how quickly we are approaching that age where we have to tell her she's not old enough to date. For now we are sending chaperones on the play dates. Cooper has a little sister Claire who was born 2 weeks before Kelton, so a pesty little brother and little sister following them around will limit the kissing... then again, having Clarie and Kelton together could eventually become a problem as well!

signature

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...I am desperately dreading Liberty's interest in boys! It totally stresses me out and I am panicked at the thought that Scott and I will not equip her with everything she needs to know about boys and relationships and purity...Ugh...she's only 5. Hopefully I still have a while :).

    ReplyDelete