Friday, September 11, 2009

"You Know, I'm Almost 7 Now..."

Hearing Kelton remind me he is "almost 7 now" made me cringe on several different levels. But I think the level that pained the most was the realization that he is right.
I remembered being flat depressed the day after Kenlee's 1st birthday. Justin thought I was crazy, but when I explained to him what was bothering me, it was so clear to me that I was already fighting a losing battle of hanging on to moments. The 1st year passed so quickly that I felt like I hadn't been able to relish in it as long as I desired. I told him "everyone says it just gets quicker as they get older. I cannot imagine the next 17 years passing at the rate the 1st one passed, much less having it pass even more quickly!" And looking at the 8 year old and 6 year old who bless my life, I can raise my eyebrows and say, "See? I was right." How can we wrap our brains around the fact that they are growing up so quickly?
So as Kelton celebrates turning 6 (which makes him almost 7, of course... just ask him!), I'll share a mini-memory lane of the growth and changes. From a picture of my pregnant tummy the week before he arrived to a picture at the lake last month. I'll upload birthday party pictures when I get around to getting them off of my camera ;-) Born Thursday, September 4, 2003 at 11:17 AM; 7 lbs, 4 oz; 20" long
Favorite pastime was entertaining Kenlee and making her laugh.
First steps were at 9 months old at a family reunion in Kerrville in June '04.
By Father's Day he was showing off his walking skills all over the yard at a Father's Day cookout. He has been Full-Speed and Full-Throttle ever since!

At 1 yr old, Kelton enjoyed bathtime, making messes, playing "phone", and playing ball.
He got his 1st haircut after his 1st birthday. He loved to hide and was very loving toward Kenlee.

At age 2, he liked wearing hats and oversized gloves. He loved jumping, swinging, eating suckers, and wearing sunglasses. He had several "buddies" he called his brothers.
He liked to hit balls and slide down slides the best.

Age 3 brought us the train era... a fascination with all things Train and Thomas. Kelton painted his first pumpkin that year, and he decided that some of his favorite things to do were to play golf with dad and ride horses with Uncle Rylan. By this time Kelton had a full-on addiction to sprinkles at Granny's house... the only place you get handed a full bottle of sprinkles and a spoon that fits right into the sugary heaven! He learned ABC's while brishing his teeth ALL those times after ALL those sweets! This boy sure has a sweet tooth!

By age 4, Kelton had taught us that tasks requiring concentration are much easier when you stick your tongue out while you concentrate... a trait from great-grandmother Evelyn ;-) Age 4 revolved around dinosaurs and growling and a few sword fights here and there. He exhibited his love for THRILL~ everything is better when it is faster, higher, and loopier.
He could write his name and identify shapes & colors.

At age 5, Kelton asserted his position on top of the world! He believes he can conquer anything, do anything, and he is Very Frustrated when we tell him he cannot do something because he isn't old enough yet (or tall enough-- he cannot wait to ride the Titan-- I'm glad he's not at that height requirement!!) This boy tries more things than I would ever consider trying. His favorite past times are Wii Sports, Mario Kart, and playing Superhero/Villain. He strips to his underwear as soon as he is home, and he prefers it that way! He loves dressing in costumes, though, especially when his "dudes" are over here to play.

"Almost 7" Well, I am sticking to SIX! No telling where age 6 will take us, but I have no doubt it will be a wild ride! With lots of negotiations and protests, I'm sure! But hopefully, he will not outgrow his loving spirit. Something about a boy being loving with his family that will make your heart melt. But we also know we will be entertained the whole way!
signature


1 comment:

  1. Yep, we were on the same page! Happy late birthday, Kelton! I don't want mine to get to 6 years! I like her at 19 months just fine :) Are you sure there's no way to slow it down?

    ReplyDelete